Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder

Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder or SADD, is a form of depression that is directly linked to or caused by the weather or time of year. Why you ask am I telling you this? I'm telling you this because it is a very real form of depression that I personally suffer from. There are two types, Summer and Winter. I always thought it was only related to Winter weather but apparently some people can be affected by the Summer weather as well.

Don't get me wrong, I suffer from depression ALL the time. I had been medicated off and on since my late teens/early twenties. But after I had The Man I have been medicated permanently. After I had The Man I saw a Dr. who thought I may be Bi-Polar. When I called my mom and told her this possible diagnosis her first response was "Oh My gosh don't tell anyone" What? Now this was six years ago but it has still bothered me a little bit. Like if I had diabetes or cancer or high blood pressure, would she still have said "Don't tell anyone" probably not. But it is the same thing, depression is when your body/brain is not working or clicking the way it should. For the record I was not diagnosed with Bi Polar disorder, however,it would not have surprised me.

Even though I take my meds every day, this year is hitting particularly hard. I don't know why but this past week has been brutal.
Symptoms of winter-onset seasonal affective disorder include:

■Depressed mood
■Irritability
■Hopelessness
■Anxiety
■Loss of energy
■Social withdrawal
■Oversleeping (feeling like you want to hibernate)
■Loss of interest in activities you normally enjoy
■Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates such as pastas, rice, bread and cereal
■Weight gain
■Difficulty concentrating and processing information

Now the fact that I live in a frozen tundra does NOT help this. Every year at this time, I start dreaming about palm trees and sunshine to the point that I want to call a realtor, put the house on the market, and Chris registered for a couple of job seeker sites today. I'm not saying we are moving because I am fairly certain that will never happen but my dream would be to move south....immediately.

Other than meds and moving 700 miles away there are a couple different ways to treat this. I have gone tanning in the past which helps, but is expensive, bad for my skin, and part of the depression is that it's hard to leave the house :) (aka catch 22) There are also light therapy boxes to sit in front of, that are available so I am looking into finding one but they are also not free.

I don't share this with all of you because I am looking for sympathy or let me know what I can do for you stuff, because I wish there was something someone could do. But it is what it is. I share this because if I seem distant blah blah blah this is why. I'm working on it. I don't like it, it's not fun but it's not personal to anyone else, it's my deal and I really do my best to put on a good show, but this week it's not working out so well.

I am so blessed in so many ways and in my brain I keep telling myself that I don't have a "good reason" to feel depressed but I can't help it, and that is what is so frustrating. This may come as a shock to many of you (all 3 of you that read my blog) but I am a little controlling... I know, I know, catch your breath, and the fact that I cannot control this almost makes it worse. I can't even think of anything sarcastic or snarky to say. That is never a good sign. But I will get through. I just may not leave my house until March or so.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

This moving 700 miles away thing would be okay if it was west. And actually, I can save you 28 miles if you come to Sacramento. Just saying.

As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression myself, I understand where you are coming from. Yes, life is pretty darn good, but we still have those moments of helplessness and sadness. I think it's normal and you shouldn't be ashamed of it. I applaud you for being brave enough to post this.

The Rasband Family said...

Just let me know if I can do anything to help you...I am always here even if you want a morning or afternoon off.

CKW said...

I'm a little alarmed that I fit in with everything on your list. Depression sucks. Logic and the mind don't always agree. When feeling like this, my therapist keeps saying "feel free to be a little selfish and do whatever you need to take care of you." Moms especially suck at that advice. Also you should eat a lot of chocolate (that part came from me, but I'm sure my therapist would have said it if she had thought of it.)Hang in there. The sun is not too far away.

Melissa said...

Only the STRONG can voice how they feel. Whether it be a blog, twitter, talking,a journal etc. It's good for the soul to express how you feel. And NO ONE should ever make you feel ashamed. I too am on an anti-depressant. We have children that we were blessed with, however their health needed (needs) a little additional care and causes more stress in our lives. I highly respect you as a person, and the choices that you make in your life. You know why? BECAUSE it's just that ... YOUR LIFE!!! My mom tends to do the same thing - to this day I know that I will never be what my mom had envisioned me to be. I will never be super skinny (if I ever get that way it's just to spite her), I will never parent the way she expects, I will never be married to the person that she likes, My hair and make-up will never be good enough, and my opinion is ALWAYS one that just simply makes no sense. Her way or the highway. She doesn't understand why I would write information for the world to see, or why anyone should know anything thats going on in our lives especially about Alyssa. It wasn't until I began voicing my opinions just recently that I realized I am a woman, a mother and an individual whom only needs to answer to myself. SO forget what everyone else thinks! (Even me if it doesn't make sense)I just want you to know that you are a wonderful person with a good heart. I (a nobody from CA) supports you and empathize with the difficult time you are having to go through right now.

Oh - and I totally agree with Court - CA definitely would benefit with an AMY JACKSON!

Anonymous said...

ok so I am way behind on reading your blog, but I thought I'd comment. I think we're all a little bipolar in our family, but that's just me :) Hang in there and know you are not alone. oh and I am just too lazy to log out of Mitch's account, but this is Katie.

LindsayDianne said...

SADD is very common here, and I fully understand the effects it can have on a person. Don't let anyone make you feel like mental illness is a shameful thing, Amy.
You're beautiful and you're trying.

Unknown said...

I would miss you terribly if you moved 700, 672, or even 10 miles away :( DON'T GO!!

I am the MAYOR of anxiety & depression town, so I understand what you are going through. You must know, if you EVER need someone to talk/vent to, call and I will come over and enjoy a chicken lettuce wrap with you any day :)

LOVE YOU!