Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa... What's the big freaking deal?

Let me preface this post with....I DO NOT ENJOY CHRISTMAS! Here are the reasons.

It's cold....I hate cold.
Christmas songs are dumb.(except for the Forgotten Carols)
I never know what to get people, and so I get them something just to get them something and I think it is dumb.
People act like stressed out a-holes. (including me)
Other than A Christmas Story, Christmas movies are dumb.


Those are just a few I'm sure I could go on and on. I do respect the holiday where we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but I don't enjoy the "season". I probably would if I could put Christmas lights in a palm tree but that is a different post for a different day.

To my point: What is the big damn deal with letting your kids believe in Santa? We all have those friends who look down their nose and in their best Julia Child voice say " We want our children to celebrate the truuuuuue meaning of Christmas. We don't place emphasis on Santa".

Why, Why, Why?? What is so wrong with letting little kids be kids for just a little while? The window is so small, the magic is so short. You only get a few years where it is really magical and then they figure it out, and it's ok, they still look forward to Christmas and we talk more about Jesus and service and the "truuuuue" meaning of Christmas. But there are YEARS for that, YEARS for service and teaching all of those great values. But just for a little while can we just let them believe in magic? Believe that there is this person who loves little children and wants them to be happy and wants to bring them presents for no other reason other than he loves them? Hmmmm sounds like someone else we know...Jesus perhaps?

I have heard someone say that they don't want some fictional character taking credit for the presents they give their kids. SERIOUSLY??? Are you that selfish? I bet those people never provide service without making sure people know about it too. I have no problem letting me kids think that someone out there loves them as much as I do. We are so blessed to be in a position to provide that for our children, and I will be sad when they don't believe anymore.

Because, as much as I hate everyone else at Christmas and all the crap, I love it for my kids.

So quit looking down your nose, get off your high horse and let kids be kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three things:

1. I don't share in your love for A Christmas Story. I can't believe there is something we don't agree no. I'm waiting for the impending apocolypse.

2. I LOVE the new Amy! You go girl...speak your mind.

3. I agree 100% with you about Christmas being for kids. Enough of this gift giving craziness! I think next year I'm donating money to a charity and giving everyone a fabulous card.

Trent and Steph said...

I totally agree with you on this one.

CKW said...

You are forgetting something very important about the "truuuee" meaning of Christmas! The fudge, amy, the fudge!! There is no other season for fudge making, giving and getting than christmas.

Oh, and hear! hear! on the magic thing...

Tiffany said...

Well Amy move here it's cold to us but warm to you, like what um 60's. Then we could decorate our palm trees!!!! Other than that I totally agree with you, except I like the season, but about Santa, we know people who are like um we don't like to lie to our kids, I'm like whatever we lie to them all the time, and one friend told his kids Santa was dead!!!!!!! He was an old man who gave out presents a long time ago but he died!!!!!! Can you believe that??? And I know people who also like the big present to be from them not Santa, I'm like hello they are all from you!!! Anyway, I just had to say I totally agree!!! Way to go!!

Unknown said...

**giggling**

LOVE IT!! It made my entire "season" to watch Delaney at the lights... Her excitement was so cute when she would look into the different little houses ~ OH MY GOODNESS, IT WAS ADORABLE!

I agree, let then be little...they grow up WAY to quickly!

I thought both of my kids no longer believed in Santa anymore...but you'll have to read the note Ky left for Santa on Christmas Eve, I'll post it soon!