Why you may ask is this the question? Because I have found myself really enjoying social networking. I love my Twitter more than I can tell you. I connect with other adults DURING THE DAY, and a lot of them are super duper cool, and I totally get them. I get their profanity, and dirty talk, and kid crazy, and mama love. I get them and I think some of them get me.
Here is the problem. I got into social networking to help promote my business. For those of you that don't know, I'm a professional bow maker amongst other hair accesories godess. (if you will indulge me) I own and operate and organize and cry over and stress over and sweat over Flowerzinherhair.com there's a button over there to your right, if you have never been there you should at least check it out so you know why I'm fat and where my blood, sweat, and tears, and patience have disapeared to.
Due to the fact that I am my business my personal overlaps with my business and I don't think that is always good. In my mind I know I must be professional and all business like. But when I am "tweeting" it's me, it's who I am, and I am not professional all the time. I swear and I want to say sarcastic rude things to non intelligent people. But I can't, I have to be careful because even though I may never meet or see any of these people ever in my life, I don't want to hurt my business because people that follow me don't agree with my politics, or my parenting or my loud personality.
My biggest fear is that I'm going to totally piss some powerful mommy blogger off and she is going to write a big old long post about the crass owner of flowerzinherhair.com and then all her mommy blogger friends are going to black list me and never do another review or giveaway and my business will go in the toilet.
I do realize there are a couple of simple solutions for this problem.
1. Don't be crass, don't be obnoxious or sarcastic. (have you met me? I don't think it is possible I've tried to be soft spoken and meek it's not who I am and I still feel like I need to be true to who I am)
2. Be all business on Twitter (that is a hard one, my business is ME it is who I am)
3. Don't "do" Twitter (I don't think that can happen, if you are a business owner in 2010 you need to be on Twitter it is an amazing place to make connections)*and I would miss Courtney.
So you see I am in a pickle, and it's killin' me smalls. I think for now I will continue to be 'me" just stay toned down, and leave the good stuff for Direct Messages :)
3 comments:
Qutting is not an option. Do it and we aren't friends anymore. True story.
Remember the greatest day of your life? The one where we talked on the phone for the first time and I suggested creating a separate Twitter account for the "personal" Amy? Well, it's still a fantastic idea because I only have fantastic ideas.
You can thank me later. And by later I mean right now. Love ya!
I dont DO twitter but could you open a different profile with no association with your business and go full boar?
Amy, I have some advice for you that I would never follow myself. And that is, Dooce it up, my friend.
Post a Comment