Saturday was Mclayne's first football game of the season. We played in Bear River, which is always interesting, first due to the hour long drive. Second, because those kids up there are cornfed and inbred, which is always frightening for our "normal" sized children. But we seemed to get lucky and they only had a couple of really big kids. They ended up beating our Roy Royals 33 to 8 which was not so fun. The important thing to remember is that for a lot of these kids it is their very first year playing and they played in their very first football game ever! I think it was a little overwhelming for a lot of them. After the game several of them asked "did we win?" it's a lot to take in for 7 & 8 year olds.
Chris and I after having a not so stellar experience last year with football decided we would get "involved" this year so that we might have a little "say." Needless to say, I think we may be in a little over our heads. Chris is an assistant coach, and I volunteered to keep the "stats" which includes keeping track of gained yards, tackles, and most importantly making sure each player receives their 10 plays in the game. I think I bit off a little more than I could chew Saturday....I have since changed my spreadsheet around so that it will be a little easier to keep track. My least favorite part of wearing that "coaching staff" shirt was fielding parent questions and comments. Because of course (and I know how they all feel) everyone wants their kids to play more. Here is my advice to all parents.....don't ever force your child to play a sport they don't want to!!!! That will help in whether or not they play!!!
But most important than Chris and I and our craziness with this whole thing is Mclayne.
He did AWESOME!!!!! He plays left tackle, and his man never crossed onto our side of the line of scrimage ONE time, Mclayne had him in his own backfield on every play. He was totally focused on the side lines and was a great team leader. We are so proud of what a great job he did. GO MCLAYNE!!! GO ROYALS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment